Ozone generators can be relatively expensive. It’s understandable, too, considering what they can do. They are best at removing odors, eliminated the bacteria that causes it. People use them to get rid of pests and mold as well.
Ozone is dangerous to breathe in, but it is one of the most effective ways to remove those gross smells that are in your home or in your car. While they may be a bit pricey, that is no excuse to build your own at home. A homemade ozone generator can cause a lot of problems.
Damage Control 911 goes over each reason, including it being a fire hazard. Since ozone is basically charged oxygen, you have to use high voltage and heavy sparks to do the same thing that an ozone generator does.
This means that you also have to use a transformer or battery to supply this spark, and it must be properly contained in order to supply the right sort of charge the molecules need.
This is one of the most dangerous things, since the spark can jump and even last a bit longer than intended, leading it to transfer to a flammable material nearby. You might want to remove the odor that’s causing a problem, but you don’t want to burn your house down!